Receive updates on our range of cultural tours and music festivals via email:
MARTIN RANDALL TRAVEL LTD
Barley Mow Passage
London W4 4GF
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8742 3355
Canada: (647) 382 1644
Australia: 1300 55 95 95
New Zealand: 0800 877 622
By a region’s literature and architecture you understand its history; by its art and music you understand its self-image. It is by its food, though, that you understand its true, unchanging character. The most communal of the arts, gastronomy is both visual and physical, scholarly and emotional. And to visit these farms, vineyards and (of course) restaurants in the company of an expert is an even greater delight for the intellectual palate. All our small-group tours are led by expert lecturers, chosen for their companionability and communication skills as well as their scholarship.
- One of the world’s most famous food-producing regions.
- A food-lover’s paradise: source of the best ham, cheese, vinegar, fresh pasta. See how they are made and meet their producers.
- Two lecturers: an expert art historian and a gastronomic specialist, author of The Food Lover’s Companion to Italy.
11–17 Apr 2015
- Eat well, drink well: Michelin-starred meals, award-winning chefs and quality wine producers.
- Sightseeing ranges from mediaeval to Modernist art and architecture.
- Led by Gijs van Hensbergen, author of books on Spanish art and food.
13–19 Apr 2015
- Long, lazy lunches including two in restaurants with 3 Michelin stars.
- Excellent wines of La Rioja-Alavesa.
- Architecture by Gehry, Calatrava, Moneo, and varied landscapes of coast, plain and mountain.
7–14 Sep 2015
- One of the most celebrated gastronomic regions in Italy, centre of the ‘Slow Food’ revolution.
- Wine and food production studied at source, including visits to Alba, white truffle capital of the world, and a number of Barolo wineries.
- Superb restaurants, from simple trattorias to the Michelin starred.
- Colourful Palermo street markets, authentic salt flats near Trapani, historic cellars in Marsala.
- Learn about making wine, olive oil and artisan foods from the craftsmen and women who carry on these age-old traditions.
- Spectrum of culinary experiences from street food in Palermo to dinner in a palazzo. Emphasis on authentic tradition rather than haute cuisine.
19–25 Oct 2015
- Surveys the history and distinctive culture of the region through its cuisine: Jewish, Muslim, Christian.
- Three nights in Fort Cochin, the spice trade centre of the Arabian Sea.
- From tea and spice plantations to lush backwaters, a leisurely paced tour amid varied scenery.
7–17 Nov 2015